- Washington Conference
- Irony: Conference of all world powers and getting them to disarm
- SALT talks for disarmament
- C.E Hughes Nov 12 “the way to disarm is to disarm” 1
- 4-part naval plan of Hughes: 5-5-3-1.67 parity. American and British had biggest because they had most oceans to protect. Worked nicely because they were allies.
- 9 power treaty to guarantee Open door and indep. Of china
- 4 Power treaty to respect pacific possessions
- All of these lacked enforcement
- Treaty limiting amount of Capital Ships -
- USA and UK set themselves up so they’d have biggest navies in the world.
- Germany wasn’t allowed- instead they made U boats
Summary: This conference was held to promote disarmament. The result ended in a treaty limiting the size of naval forces around the world. However certain countries were allowed larger navy's than others depending on how many oceans the country defended.